With the holidays fast approaching, you may be thinking that it’s too late to squeeze in some Christmas crafts. However, there are a number of relatively quick to make crafts that are perfect for this time of year. One of those being salt dough ornaments. The ornaments are quite easy to make and only require three ingredients. This is a great family craft, as everyone can choose the shapes of their decorations. Then the real fun comes when it’s time to paint them. Make them as fancy as you wish! Of course, you can also leave them unpainted if you choose.
The post may contain affiliate links. This means that should you make a purchase after following one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Salt dough ornaments
What you will need
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- craft paint
- ribbon or string
- glitter (optional)
To make the ornaments
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine 2 cups of flour and 1 cup fo salt in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of cold water and stir. Once the dough has started to come together, use your hands to knead it until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Use a straw to poke a hole near the top of the ornament – this is where the ribbon will be added later.
- Lay ornaments on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 2 hours or until hard. Flip about halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Let ornaments cool completely before painting.
- Once ornaments are painted. Add the ribbon or string. Then hang on your tree or give it to a friend.
Salt dough ornaments are a great family-oriented Christmastime craft. Get everyone involved in the process. Have you ever made salt dough ornaments?