When it comes to breakfast, cereal is a major focus in many households. With store shelves filled with multiple kinds of cereal, it can be hard to know what one to go with, especially if you are looking for a healthier option. As I continue through my adventure of learning to cook and trying new recipes, I wondered whether it was possible to make homemade cereal. After a bunch of research, I found a number of homemade granola cereal recipes and began to try them. Through experimentation and combining various recipes together, I finally settled on one that my whole family enjoys.
The best part about this homemade granola cereal is that it is very versatile. No two bowls need to be the same. The cereal itself is healthy and flavorful, yet there are so many ways to dress it up and create new flavors every day. Adding in things such as dried or fresh fruits, various seeds, nuts, and even honey can help to take this cereal to the next level. Changing up the extras in this cereal means that you will never grow bored with it.
Homemade Granola Cereal
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup flax seed (optional)
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Ensure that they are evenly mixed.
- Add in the water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and stir. Make sure that everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture between two parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes. If you want chunkier cereal, stir only once.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
Have you made any homemade cereal before? Was it homemade granola cereal or a different kind? Give this one a try!