Since learning to cook, I have spent many hours in the kitchen trying all kinds of recipes. My favorite thing to do is baking. Whether it’s bread, cookies, muffins or some random dessert, there is always something delicious to be made. Of these, homemade cinnamon buns are in my top five favorite recipes. These buns are packed with flavor and are fairly simple to make. In fact, the recipe is modified from the best white bread recipe.
If you are looking for a dessert to make for a party, pot luck or just because these homemade cinnamon buns are an excellent choice. You can even add flavoring to the icing to give them an extra pop. Try using orange extract instead of vanilla extract to change up the flavors.
- 5 teaspoons of dry active yeast
- 3 Tablespoons of sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 -3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3-5 Tbsp cinnamon
- icing sugar
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese softened
- Place the water, yeast, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir slightly and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. The mixture should turn foamy.
- Add in oil/butter and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add 3 1/4 cups of flour in the bowl and mix until well combined. I use speed 2 on my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook for this step. Be sure to stop the mixer midway through and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. If your dough is still fairly sticky, then add in an additional 1/4 cup of flour. Continue to use speed 2, or mix by hand, until the dough forms a ball and is slightly elastic.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place on a lightly floured counter. Cover the dough and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes. This ensures the dough comes together nicely and helps to create nice soft cinnamon rolls.
- Roll the dough out until it forms a rectangle, approximately 10 x 14 inches.
- Lightly brush with a small amount of melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
- Begin to roll the dough, making sure it is tight. Once rolled, seal the edge by pinching it. Cut the roll into 12 equal sized pieces. Using dental floss is the best way to cut the dough without squishing the rolls.
- Place the 12 rolls into a greased 9×13 baking pan. Rise for about 20 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Rolls should be golden brown.
- Once cooled, make the icing. Mix cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and a bit of milk in a bowl. How much you use of these ingredients depends on how much icing you want and the consistency of the icing. Spread the icing evenly across the tops of the rolls.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Give these homemade cinnamon buns a try today!