There are some baking items that seem harder to make than they truly are. Bagels are one of those items. Even though I have gotten quite skilled at cooking and baking, I honestly believed I couldn’t make bagels. They just seemed so difficult to make. However, after looking through several recipes, I realized that they are easier to make than I first thought. So, I decided to try my hand at making homemade bagels.
It took a few tries, but I was finally able to find the perfect recipe for them. Combining a few of the recipes that I found, I managed to make homemade bagels that are soft on the inside with that wonderfully chewy crust on the outside.
These bagels make an excellent breakfast. Serve buttered or with cream cheese. Add some fruit on the side to make the meal even healthier. Once you try these homemade bagels you may never eat store-bought bagels again.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups water
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together all ingredients except the water.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix. Slowly continue to add water until a firm dough forms. The dough should not be wet. It should feel heavy when you pick it up.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll them into balls. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Using your fingers, push a hole into the middle of the ball and slowly shape into a bagel. Let rest for another 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat oven to 425.
- Boil the bagels for 1 minute on each side. Drain and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip over bagels and then cook for another 5-10 minutes. Bagels should be golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Have you ever tried making homemade bagels? If not, I would highly recommend giving these a try.