When it comes to comfort food, pasta and cheese are top on my list. There is something about gooey cheese mixed with noodles that just make everything alright in the world. Though I didn’t love it as a kid, I quickly learned to appreciate this dish later on in life. In fact, growing up I hated mac and cheese, especially if it came out of a box. However, then my grandma made this homemade mac and cheese one day and I finally found a reason to love it. Gone was the questionable cheese sauce and instead, came a dish packed with flavor and cheese I could tell was truly cheese. I was in heaven. It’s no wonder I love my grandma so much, she gave me delicious food and helped create happy memories.
Funnily enough, this was one of the first things I learned to cook, even though it would be many years before I truly learned how to cook.
Whether it’s for a simple lunch, dinner or side dish. This homemade mac and cheese will bring a smile to your face and a satisfied belly.
You can even dress it up by adding meat or vegetable into the mix and make it a full-blown casserole. Personally, I prefer it just the way it is. However, my family loves it with bacon mixed in.
- 1 package macaroni
- 2-3 cups grated cheese
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 Tbsp basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and return to pot or place in a large mixing bowl. Allow the noodles to cool slightly.
- Add the most of the cheese and stir. Then add the ketchup, salt, pepper, and herbs and stir thoroughly.
- Spray a glass baking pan and spread the noodle mixture evenly. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add the remaining cheese on top and bake until melted.
Give this homemade mac and cheese a try today! It’s full of flavor and is a great lunch or side dish for dinner.