Pancakes are a delicious breakfast option. With their golden hue and soft texture, it’s hard not to like them. They are perfect for a Saturday morning or any day of the week. My family always has pancakes on Saturday. It is the perfect way to start the weekend. For years we made pancakes using store bought mixes. However, nothing compares to these easy delicious from scratch pancakes. They are a family favorite and are sure to please everyone! I am so glad that I learned how to cook because these pancakes are simple but oh so tasty to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that should you make a purchase after following one of these links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Because these pancakes are from scratch, you much first make the master mix. A full batch of the master mix will make approximately 8 batches of pancakes. Start by gathering all the necessary ingredients. You can halve this recipe if you wish to make a smaller amount of the master pancake mix.
Combine the flour, instant non-fat dry milk, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk, stir the mix thoroughly until well combined. Place the master mix into a labeled container, making sure to add the date it was made. Use the mix within 8 months. I prefer to use these OXO Good Grips Containers as they have an excellent seal.
Once you are ready to make pancakes preheat a pan to medium-high heat. Scoop out 1 1/2 cups of the master mix. To this add in 1 egg, 1 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of oil. Mix until thoroughly combined. Allow the mixture to sit for several minutes. This will give the pan a chance to fully heat up.
Pour about 1/3 of a cup of the batter into the preheated pan. Cook for approximately 2 minutes or until bubbly. Don’t be afraid to lift the pancake slightly to check if you are unsure of whether it is time to flip or not.
Flip the pancake and cook for about 1 minute. The pancake should be golden brown on both sides. Once done, serve with your favorite topping or eat them plain! These pancakes are great anyway. You can also mix in things such as chocolate chips, blueberries and even sprinkles to add some extra flavor.
To make the master mix
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups instant non-fat dry milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2 Tbsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. I recommend using a whisk, this will allow for the even distribution of all ingredients throughout the mix. Store mixture in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Make sure to date the container and use within 8 months.
To make the pancakes
- Heat up a pan on the stove to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, place 1 1/2 cups of pancake master mix.
- Mix together egg, water, and oil. Add to the dry mix. Alternatively, you can put the wet ingredients directly in with the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Let the mixture stand for a few minutes before making pancakes.
- Pour approximately 1/3 cup of the pancake batter into the preheated pan. Cook for about two minutes or until bubbly.
- Flip the pancake and cook for about one minute.
- Enjoy your pancakes with your favorite toppings.