Casseroles are a great way of putting together a quick and easy meal that has everything in it. The combination of cheese and noodles is often looked upon as comfort food. Adding some chicken and broccoli into the mix makes a complete meal with very little extra work. This chicken and broccoli noodle casserole is one of our favorites to make, especially as the weather started to turn cooler. Not only is it a hearty and warm meal, but it can also be made into a freezer meal. Having a few of these in the freezer is a great way to be prepared for the cold winter months. The addition of herbs helps to ramp up the flavor of this dish.
This meal is quite versatile. Not only can it be eaten immediately or froze for later use. You can also use different meats to mix up the flavor. Often times, I use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas to make a few of these. Then I put them in the freezer to be eaten over the winter months. Of course, you could also use beef or pork as the meat if you choose.
For added flavor, I like to add horseradish mayo to this. However, as I’m the only one that likes it that way, I add it once plated. This spicy mayo adds a bit of kick to the dish.
Chicken and broccoli noodle casserole
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped
- 1 bag of macaroni noodles
- 3-4 cups of broccoli
- 4 cups of cheese.
- 2 Tbsp basil
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 2 Tbsp celery seed
- 2 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles until they are al dente. Drain and allow to cool.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Cook and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. You can use either fresh or frozen broccoli.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix together noodles, chicken, herbs, and half of the cheese.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the noodle mixture into the pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. The cheese should be starting to melt.
- Add the remaining cheese to the top and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
If you are making this for the freezer, then put everything into a freezer-safe baking pan, including the cheese on top. Wrap and label, then store in the freezer. When you want to have it, thaw and then place in the over at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Give this chicken and broccoli noodle casserole a try. Your family is sure to love it.