The eighth month of 2021 has arrived. It’s crazy to believe we are already in the second half of the year. This means that the beginning of fall is only a month away. I know it may feel too soon to be talking about fall, but honestly, it’s just around the corner. So while summer is still here, let’s make the most of it. The best way to do that is to set monthly goals. I’ve been setting monthly goals for a few years now and it has made a huge difference in my life. Each month presents different challenges and so it’s important to change your goals to reflect that. Before we get into my August 2021 goals, let’s take a moment to look back and see how I did with my July goals.
July was the month little got done. I felt burnout coming on and it covered all areas of my life. I didn’t want to write, blog, work out or do anything. So, needless to say, that is reflected in the outcome of these goals. But I decided it was better to take it easy and not hit my goals than push myself and truly hit burnout. Mostly I played video games. There were also far too many hot days this month than I care to count, which may have been part of the reason my motivation slipped away.
- Read at least 5 books. Yes. If you are curious to see what I read in July, check out my reading wrap-up.
- Watch at least 1 season of a show. Nope. I don’t think I watched anything all month long – except a bunch of YouTube videos.
- Workout 5 days a week. Not even close! I barely did anything that resembled working out, mostly I took the dog for a walk.
- Finish plant the garden. This is one I did accomplish. Everything got planted within the first week or so of the month.
- Study Japanese for an hour a day. Certainly not every day and not for an hour either. However, I did do some studying.
- Learn 10 kanji. Nope!
- Journal every day. I don’t think I touched my journal once all month along.
- Work on my novel project. Barely. I did pick away at a bit of work, fleshing out some character sheets and making some worldbuilding notes. But overall I ignored my writing.
- Work on a short story. I got a decent amount of work done on this. While I didn’t feel like writing most of the month, I did pick away at my short story idea. It’s a long way from being done, but closer than I was.
- Work on July and August’s posts. No. I was writing July’s posts the night before they went up and only got 1 post done for August.
- Create new pin images. Not even close. I only made ones for my newest posts.
- Finish the email sign-up freebie. Nope.
August 2021 goals
Now that I am no longer feeling burnout (though there are some lingering effects), I am looking forward to getting stuff done. However, I am going to cut back on my goals a bit this month so as to not reignite the burnout. Being the last month before school starts up again, this month may be busy in other ways
- Read at least 5 books. This is a must when it comes to goals. Even when I don’t feel like doing anything else, I almost always have a desire to read. Plus it will help me to continue to shrink my TBR.
- Watch at least 1 season of a show. I already know what I want to watch, I simply need to make time for it.
- Workout 3 days a week. After barely getting any workouts done for the last month and a bit, I want to ease my way back into it.
- Weed the garden. This is a job that needs to happen regularly. Plus, now that we are getting rain again, the weeds will start growing more.
- Study Japanese for 30 minutes a day. Getting back into the swing of regular studying will be key. Thirty minutes a day sounds like a good start.
- Learn 5 kanji. I’m lowering my new Kaanji learned to 5 this month.
- Work on a short story. I think I will be putting most of my writing effort into short story writing. I have a number of ideas I would like to explore plus I need more practice at it. This will also help with my daily word count for my year of writing which has slowed down significantly lately.
- Work on August’s posts. I want to get all of August’s posts done and not be frantically typing them up the night before I want to post them. If I can get one or two posts done for September as well that would be great.
Those are my August 2021 goals. What are your goals this month?